Monday, April 14, 2014

Preparations for the Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela (and beyond)

Thought I should do something very original: Starting a Camino blog! :-) (there must be 100s of them...)

No, seriously, it is mostly to keep in contact with my dearest.

SO: What is it I am doing?

I am going to cross Spain from east to west by foot, only with my backpack, staying in albergues with common sleeping halls, and reaching the city of Santiago de Compostela, where tradition says that the remains of the diciple of Jesus, James (Jakob) is housed. A 1.200 year long tradition.

(Everywhere on this blog: Click on any image to enlarge it!)



The internet contains huge amounts of information on the subject. Just do a Google search for "Santiago pilgrim" (without the quotes) and you will be able to read a lot. Do the same search on Youtube, and you will find heaps of videos, like this one (You may want to click on the rectangle lower right to maximize the video, although it will be a bit blurred...):



This is a very special, spiritual journey. Many people walk this Way after major changes in their lives, like deaths, breakups, illness, rootless feeling, religious issues, etc. Some do it just as a different kind of vacation. Either way, it will mark you:You will make new friends and get a more relaxed perspective on life. You will not leave the Camino unchanged. The Camino is a strange thing, that you will feel. It will change your life if you walk it. It is strange.

Along the way, there are many villages, containing albergues where pilgrims can get a bed for 5-10 Euros, that have kitchens where you can prepare food, or you can go to cafes and have a "menu del dia", 2 courses + wine for ca. 10 Euros.

Eventually, you reach Santiago, can receive a diploma showing that you have done the trip, and if you wish, take a bus (or walk) to Finisterre to spend a few days at the coast of the Atlantic. The Romans named it Finis Terra (End of the world) because it was the most western point in Europe, and out of there, was the edge of the world, where you could fall off the edgde of the world. Remember, they thought the world was flat :-)

The Way has stone markers that indicate the remaining distance to Santiago. At Finisterre, you will find the last one:



Not fun, really: Ending the journey makes many people understand that the journey was really the target...

For now, if the above has made you curious, do the searches I suggested, read, and start thinking. Remember, doing new things can do you good:

If you continue to do what you have always done, you will receive what you have always received.

If you are fine with that, keep on it. If not... Try to make a change: it might do you some good.

Back on track:

I am almost done: Plane tickets OK, Hostals/albergues up to Saint Jean Pied de Port (SJPdP) booked, and Orrison booked. Packing planned, and backpak prepared.

I will start out easy: From Norway to Barcelona on Wednesday, April 23rd, 2014, arriving late in the evening, a hotel near the airport, bus into Barcelona next day, train to Pamplona, staying at Aloha hostel, next day picked up and going to albergue Corazon Puro north of Roncesvalles, communal dinner, and next day (April 26th 2014) transport to SJPdP, getting my pilgrim passport at the pilgrims office, installing myself in L'Auberge du Pelerin, and start walking next morning, the 27th. So you see, I am starting out slow and easy. Only to Orrison the first day, where I have a reservation. Fitting  for a 60 years old man,,,

I need to buy a walking staff (for dogs and difficult ascents/decents), or maybe 2 sticks? Not sure about that. I only know that on my last walks, I hated the sound of sticks from passing pilgrims breaking the peace... Maybe I will now turn into one of them...?

For these first days, I have booked all steps, because it is all so concentrated at the beginning of the Camino. I started out only ordering (and buying!) a non-reversible one-way only flight ticket, so that there was a point-of-no-return, and I have later made additional planning/reservations. But after the first day (Orrison; I am going slow in order not to destroy my feet at the very beginning: Many are those who have made that mistake...) there are no plans. Just walking. Relaxing. Reflecting. Enjoying life. It will take the time it takes.

That being said: I am not new to this: In 2009, I walked the Camino Frances from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela (SdC); in 2011 I walked from Sevilla to Salamanca; in 2012 from Salamanca to SdC. Been in Finisterre twice. But this year I have managed to do improvements to my packing list, which should bring it down to around 6-7 kgs., which is very relaxing. Backpack also fits measures for hand luggage, so no waiting at the airports. :-)

Look out for this backpack:


CU around, I hope!

PS: I will try to make this blog a bit reflective, since I have no fixed schedule for this 790 kms walk. I am done when I am done. Will also try to show many photos. But I have to figure out how to manage this blog thing fully first... ;-)



6 comments:

  1. Hey Alex,

    Great start to your blog. I will be following your camino and your blog. I will be walking in October and look forward to being enlightened on your camino experience and your blogging experience. Many family members and friends have suggested I blog my camino, but I have resisted it thus far . . . . we will see. Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete
  2. BUEN CAMINO! Looking forward to following your trip. I will be walking the CF for the third time in September/October, and am interested in your thoughts and experiences as you walk the Camino Frances again - what kind of changes do you notice, will you stop in the same or difference places, and who are the amazing people that you encounter? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your comments and plannings! We are two 60 somthing year olds about to set off from St Jean on the 18th May - and have tried to set up a blog (more for ourselves and those that we love and love us than to aspire to inspire) :):)
    Buen Camino

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alex!
    Looking forward to your blog. It's been a while since our paths crossed on the Via de la Plata in 2011. I finally reached Santiago last July. I'm starting the Camino Primitivo in July this year. I like your packing list. My own has evolved in a similar fashion, although for a July camino I'll drop the sleeping bag and poncho. Buen Camino, Tom Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex; good to see your blog and your many great suggestions for Pilgrims.
    We enjoyed spending time with you in early September on the Camino. Your friendship and help along the way were very encouraging for us. (Remember the rude man in Carionne de las Condos who asked you "do you have a problem with that?) Hope to hear from and would love to see you again some time.

    Jim and Sue from Portland, Oregon (portlandpolzins@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete