Monday, April 14, 2014

Attempt of a packing list

There is much hysteria about packing one's backpack. I have a very relaxed attitude towards it, but of course, one should absolutely minimize the weight one is carrying; It makes the difference between a nice walk and a struggle. So my general rule is to pack what is absolutely neccessary, throw out what I don't need, and buy locally what I after all need/forgot.

In my backpack (7.2 kgs):


2 boxer trousers
2 pairs of sports socks with reinforcements on blister areas
1 T-shirt
1 long-sleeve shirt to look proper in evenings
1 extra pair of long trousers to look proper in evenings
1 pair of swimming shorts (for albergues like En El Camino (A haven with a pool on the Meseta), Cuatro Cantones, + Finisterre...)
1 pair of crocs
4 safety pins for hanging socks etc. to dry
Lightweight toilet map with toothbrush, toothpaste, soap box, nail cutter, comb and lightweight (58gr.) towel
Lightweight First aid kit (Compeed, needle&thread for draining blisters, patches, tape, some emergency items, vaseline, iodine, strong thread for backpack repairs, +++)
Sleeping bag
Poncho
Papers (reservations, camino profile maps laminated, from www.godesalco.com/plan)
CSJ lightweight guides (CF, Finisterre, Portoguise (just in case change of plans...))
Small toilet paper roll
Sanitary napkin pack
2 pairs of earplugs! Some pilgrims make many strange noises during night; Heavy snoring can kill your night..
Blinders for my eyes! Some pilgrims love to put on the light or use their flashlight at 4.30 in the morning...
2 x 0.5 l. drinking water bottles (ordinary lightweight plastic bottles from the shop, reused).
Shoe polish, shoe fat impregretion, and shoe brush. Yes I am old fashioned but these things work :-)

On body (2.3 kgs):


Walking boots
Trousers
Belt
T-shirt
Lightweight fleece sweater (will go into my pack in Spain)
Waterproof lightweight jacket (will go into my pack in Spain)
1 pair of pressure sports socks
1 boxer underwear
1 cap

Body belt (0.65 kgs):


Passport
iPhone (with maps, compass, GPS, Flashlight/SOS blinking light, Emergency WhatsApp +++)
Bank/Insurance/European Health - etc. cards
Euro Money (50% in my zipped trouser pocket, though)
Bank ID chip for emergency banking
Spanish language parlour

That's it. The rest, if needed, will be bought in Spain.

My list may seem minimalistic, but believe me: This is all I need and I can buy what I eventually forgot, at a better price than at home.

About a belt for my trousers: I normally wear a leather belt: It weighs 220 grams (much of it is the buckle). I suddenly realized that I could use one of these backpack leftover straps as a belt: It weighs 2o grams, and is fully adjustable. 20% of a kg. saved!



My impression is that many people bring with them far too much and/or are not aware that Spain is a very civilized country, where you can buy whatever you need, normally for a much better price than at home.

I do not know what this will weigh, but it will be significantly lower than on any of my former Caminos. I have learnt about the essentials. This is what I am aiming at, in order to be able to "run" the Camino, if neccessary :-)

And BTW: It might be a good idea to RUN downhill instead of walking: I have tried it, and found it less demanding on my feet/legs than trying to walk downhill. Strange. Other pilgrims were of course looking upon me as a maniac when I was running past them. But it was better for me; being a running pilgrim, at least downhill. I like that, being 60 years old ;-)

My above packing list will fit into a walk-on backpack and body on airlines: No waiting for luggage on arrival, and no risk of losing your belongings by foulups in airports.

Ahhh, forgot: Hat, bottle opener, and a plastic wine glass (yes, important! ;-) )


6 comments:

  1. Hi Alex. I hope to be a few days ahead of you. This is a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you, this is all one need, good packing list, will copy it, some minor variations being female. You will be ahead of me I suppos so have a good start! Mariann

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about running down hills and I am a 57 year old female.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) It can actually save you from knee/ancle breakdown, yes!

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely going to be using your pack list as a reference, it's pretty close to what I had in mind, follow Natasha and I at estrangedwisdom.blogspot.ca, our journey starts on May 24th :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My plastic wine glass is the bottom of a lightweight water bottle! I ran a piece of sand paper around the lip to make sure it was smooth. Only weighs 6 grams empty.

    ReplyDelete