Monday, April 14, 2014

A couple of packing tips, and a little about boots

I have trown out a couple of items:

My dear sandals: They weigh almost 800 grams. I have replaced them with plastic crocs: Saving + 500 grams there. These are not for walking, but for time spent in the afternoons, as well as in the showers.

My ordinary towel has been replaced by a hightech lightweight towel: Saved + 200 grams there.

Together, on only 2 items, I have saved + 3/4 kgs in my backpack. It is of the utmost importance to minimize the weight of your backpack, in order to have a pleasant walk.

Not bad. And I am still working on it.

Also, remember: You can wash/buy new things on the Way. Do not pack too much stuff in your pack; only bare necessities. Buy in Spain what you miss/forgot.

But there is one thing I will not go back on: My boots. I wear my old Army boots. They are a bit heavier than others, but they do the job; Some people laugh when they see them, but these are real walking devices: Impregnated leather (waterproof, can walk in streams), spacious, not many blisters, ankle-high (support your ankle/lower leg), steel bands in the sole (sturdy on rocks), takes mud with no problems, can be rinsed with ordinary running water, etc. You get the point?

As a former soldier in Arctic winter and summer Norway, i know they work. They have so far joined me for +3.500 kms on roads and are still in perfect condition.

Call me old-fashioned if you wish, but they really perform:


So that's what's gonna walk the Camino with/for me. Period.

Be aware: The Camino is not a jogging ground: You will need sturdy shoes, not like trainers or jogging shoes. Plenty of rocks, difficult tracks, in rain heavy, sticking mud, etc. Get good walking shoes and wear them thoroughly in before you start walking. I have seen several young people crying in pain and going home after just a few days, because their feet were destroyed. Pay attention: Your feet are your most important piece of equipment on the Camino. Without them in top shape, you will not complete it.



No comments:

Post a Comment